indicate that the original well cribbing was 34 feet deep.
Though there was a nearby creek, the well inside the fort
compound offered security in case of attack.
was selected for Fortress Ross because of its access to
fresh water, nearby timber for construction, the flat
coastal terrace surrounding it on which to grow crops, and
because it was a defensible site with inaccessible ridges
protecting the rear, plus a small harbor below.
original Russian flagstaff marked on the 1817 map was in the
vicinity of the well.