Fort Ross Well
Archaeological excavations indicate that the original well cribbing was 34 feet deep. Though there was a nearby creek, the well inside the fort compound offered security in case of attack.
This site was selected for Fortress Ross because of its access to fresh water, nearby timber for construction, the flat coastal terrace surrounding it on which to grow crops, and because it was a defensible site with inaccessible ridges protecting the rear, plus a small harbor below.
The original Russian flagstaff marked on the 1817 map was in the vicinity of the well.